The nautical theme is oh-so-trendy at the moment. Maybe because it’s summer, or maybe because clean graphic prints are very popular right now. Lucky for me, I’ve always loved the nautical style, so this temporary influx of nautical decor/fashion means it’s easier for me to find things I love.
As summer is winding down to an end (and since we have deck renovations on our brains) it’s time to start thinking about squeezing in as many summer BBQs as possible before it’s time to make apple pie and eat Halloween candy! We love to host parties, and when you can add in a little summertime weather and food on the grill – well, that’s just perfection.
I’ve said it before, but I’m an accessories girl. Earrings, necklaces, shoes, and scarves.
Scarves are one of my favorite ways to accessorize and also keep me warm! It’s definitely spring here in Boston, but my scarf-loving ways will stay strong at least until June. (Then I usually don’t bother with them until October or so.)
I have a special place in my heart for espresso mugs.
I have no idea where this cup-crush originated, but I have a feeling that it has something to do with the fact that they are tiny and colorful.
With the day of hearts and flourish next week, I wanted to share some letterpress valentine’s I have been spying lately on Etsy.
It’s “sweatah-weathah” (click here for ensuing laughter) and the gloves are off! Err, on.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted a Top 9. Today I’m sharing mittens and gloves from Etsy.
I know I’ve said it before, but Etsy is a great way to support independent artisans from all over the US.
1. By SewGracefulMitts These are made of old sweaters! I’ve always wanted to try this Martha Stewart tutorial.
2. By Cheryl Patterson These are so sweet. : )
3. By Pilland I love this sunny color and the extra long glove sleeves.
4. By Pille Ploomipuu This Norwegian pattern is a classic.
5. By MartiniSQ Ohh these are cashmere. So soft!
6. By MirthTones Hah! These are so cute and make me laugh!
7. By BoysenberryLane I would love these for work! In the winter my hands get so cold and I could still type with these on.
8. By AvrellynRose Oh my!! These are so precious!
9. By awoolgatherer TOASTY! These are hilarious and look quite “toasty”. I love random humor on common objects.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted an Etsy Top 9. Far too long.
As soon as we returned from our Thanksgiving excursion to Long Island I got out our Christmas decorations. Literally. We unpacked the car and within 10 minutes I took down all our Thanksgiving decorations and out came the Christmas boxes!
Today, in honor of holiday decor taking over my house, I’m sharing my top 9 Christmas stockings.
1. I love the vibrant patterns of these LaFortuneLinens stockings. If I had a big brood I think these would be a fun assortment.
2. This retro throwback stocking from AllenbriteStudio is a cute take on felt and makes me feel all nosalgic.
3. I am a sucker for the classic knit stockings like this one by Annmoody See #6 if you want to know why!.
4. If you’re into the coastal holiday look, this burlap stocking by Floatinteriors is quite quaint.
5. This “Dr. Seuss” stocking by GoodWishesQuilts is a looker with all her helter skelter stripes.
6. I love these stockings because this is what I had growing up! My grandma made them for me and all my cousins. Mine is like the Santa one except I think he was coming out of the chimney. And it even has my name on it! These ones are knit by Jpyle,
7. This stocking by AnniesWoolens is a classic with black and red gingham. The embroidery is a nice touch too.
8. This hand-crocheted stocking by TAMMYMADEIT is cozy little number with the jingle bell and yarn pompom.
9. These fun and fresh fabric stockings by PiperAndEllie are an girlie take on the Christmas stocking.
We usually open our stockings first thing in the morning. And by first thing I mean around 9:00am because we always slept in. Then we have a big breakfast and didn’t start opening presents until afterwards. We were usually still opening presents (one at a time, mind you!) at 1 or 2pm! Let’s just say the image of kids terrorizing their parents in the wee hours of the morning to open gifts is a foreign concept to me. I grew up with my Christmas mornings being slow and lazy. And I like them that way!
I am protesting the end of summer.
While grocery shopping this week the stockboys were putting out Halloween candy. HALLOWEEN candy.
Then, I get home and start going through my (shamelessly overstocked) Google Reader. Bloggers are already blogging about fall projects.
Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, it’s been far too long since I’ve done a Top 9. Today my Top 9 is based on a theme for a Goodbye Summer party. 😦 Wahh.
The theme is sunset-based, because summer should be an eternal sunset. (So poetic. I know.) Why? Well, I only get to see sunsets during the summer. Otherwise I leave work when it’s dark. Sunsets happen at the end of the day, this party it happening at the end of summer. And if you want to get real scientific, the days are starting to get short again, thus a sunset theme.
I’m nothing if not well thought-out. Either that, or I am a champion of meager excuses for a party…
1. First you’d need awesome, summery invitations like these to invite your favorite peeps over.
2. I think it would be fun to decorate my deck with some of these lovely sunset-colored mobiles from LilSproutCreation. With the goldenrod, coral and tangerine hues of this beauty, I think you could even sneak this into your fall decor.
3. I would serve this refreshingly tasty looking Creamsicle trifile by Amy Atlas. The colors are beautiful! Is there anything more classically summer than a creamsicle popsicle?
4. This beautiful necklace by Alyssa’s Gems and Jewels would adorn my neck and add instant “summer celebration” to any outfit. (How is it that I’ve never heard of Maple Turquoise before? It’s lovely.)
5. Ahhh, the quintessential summer activity. Friendship bracelets. I’d love to sit around a campfire and make some chevron bracelets like these babies by LARaised. (I think it’s hilarious that these are a “style trend” right now. I think people just want to dress like they are 12 again and call it a “trend”. Not that I am opposed. I still have one.)
6. A kitschy patchwork tablecloth with hues of goldenrod and pink, like this one from CakeforBreakfast, would help set the tone.
7. I would also serve this Taste-a-Rainbow cupcakes from Family Fun magazine.
8. A pretty orange dress, like one this from AmandaArcher, would help soften the wardrobe blow in the transition from summer to fall.
9. Lastly, I’d thank my friends for coming with these “Cheerio” cards from TheDesignConspiracy. I love the yellow printing and custom screenprinted type.
Around this time of year I am grateful to live in New England. The leaves start turning and we can still go to the beach for at least another six weeks. (Yes! I have swam in the ocean in October before!)
Three cheers for an Indian Summer!
To say I am anxiously awaiting the epic final film installment of the Harry Potter movies would be an understatement.
Although I was a little slow on the uptake when the books came out, I read all of them a few years ago and have continued to re-read them on a regular basis.
To help curb my appetite, as I have been watching the HP movies this week and keep seeing the trailer on TV, here are my top 9 Etsy HP buys:
1. These earrings are possibly the cutest Harry Potter paraphernalia I came across. Subtle enough for us nerdy muggles to pull off.
2. This is a classic HP charm necklace. A pendant for those with a penchant for the Boy who Lived.
3. Looking to send a post by owl? Send one of these adorable notecards! “I love you like Neville loves Herbology”. Love it!! Although I don’t think my husband would get it…
4. SPOILER. For those of you who haven’t read the books…. don’t read the next sentence….. really. Stop here. *Sigh, we find Severus Snape’s soft spot. (There. Was that vague enough for you movie-only watchers? I hate giving away things.)
5. My lifelong dream is to become a vela. I will be one step closer with their awesome hats! Now I just need to learn how to flutter and I’ll be on my way to Beauxbattons.
6. I solemnly swear that I’m up to no good. This metal-pressed keychain is cute. Although I’d rather have a real Marauder’s Map instead!
7. I would love to hang this up in the subway and crash into it with a shopping cart!
8. LUNA LOVEGOOD earrings! AHH!! Haha! Luna is the greatest little weirdo in the HP series. Put on a pair of these and grab a Quibbler and you’re set to go.
9. Yum. Pumpkin juice. I wonder if they also sell this at the Disney Harry Potter World? I’ve heard the Butterbeer is delish.
“I always knew that Harry’s story would end with the seventh book, but saying goodbye has been just as hard as I always knew it would be. Even while I’m mourning, though, I feel an incredible sense of achievement. I can hardly believe that I’ve finally written the ending I’ve been planning for so many years. I’ve never felt such a mixture of extreme emotions in my life, never dreamed I could feel simultaneously heartbroken and euphoric.”
Says J.K. Rowling on the Deathly Hallows.
I read once that J.K. Rowling started telling her son a made-up story about a wizard named Harry. I remember she said that the character Harry walked into her head fully formed.
I’d like for a multi-billion dollar idea to just walk into my head please.
Beware. It will be stuck in your head for the next day.